Tuesday, October 11, 2005

catch it now..........it's up for deletion......serious venting

......we watched a movie last night......crash.....it was pretty much about racial and cultural stereotypes in our country, although it was set in los angeles......i wanted to dismiss the extremes they portrayed in the movie as if that must just be a los angeles thing....it was depressing...they didn't really leave out many 'groups'....the thing that disturbed me was they way i felt about my own race.....am i that way?....do i act like i'm at the top of the totem pole as far as cultures and races go?....i sure hope not.....i feel as though i'm accepting of everyone......color.....size....religion....culture....not that i'm always comfortable in every particular environment.......but is there anything wrong with that?.....i mean, not being comfortable in every environment.....isn't it normal to feel the most comfortable.....or safe in the environment i've grown up in?......how culturally diverse are we supposed to be?......i think it's possible to love everyone around you and still live your life 'as you know it'.......can we do what we are 'supposed' to do and stay 'in the box'?........how many different cultures did jesus expose himself to?.........honestly....i want to relate to different cultures but it's kind of hard when i'm part of the soccer mom suburbia right now.......i can definitely relate to the mom i sit next to at gwen & emily's soccer games.....or the bus driver that picks up my kids......or the cashier at stop & shop down the road......or the people that work next to me at the journal.....but i don't know if i can understand why a person in the inner city feels slighted by our society.....how do i relate to that?.....it's never happened to me....sad but true.....i've had an easy life pretty much............
so..........the movie..........if you rent it........there are a couple scenes that may be offensive, but overall it makes you think about whether or not you tend to stereotype and judge........sadly enough i haven't come to a conclusion about how i feel about stereotyping......some of it simply is true......that's what makes our country diverse.....each 'group' has it's own little 'things'.....ways we live.....ways we react.....what makes us happy.....what makes us angry......i just wouldn't call it racist......we are all different.........am i a pathetic american.....?.....sucked in by the stereotypes?..
maybe.......i just don't get offended if people stereotype me, because i know it's reality at times....
...........................ok....................this may soon be deleted...........................

Comments:
That was deep and actually made me want to watch the movie so I can take a better deeper look at me and how I react to things like that. Don't delete your post, it makes people think... and thats definately a good thing!

oh and...

Thanks so much Jen! That's encouraging! I think I have the tendancy to be a lot harder on myself then I would be on others! Thank you for being an encouragement to me! Love you too!
 
Jen...I have been thinking a lot about that lately. I started commenting on it and it turned into a really long comment, so I am just going to post it on my blog. :) Thanks for the post, it really got me fired up. I love how you are always self-examining your heart and motives to be a greater lover of people and follower of Christ!
 
Really, with the whole stereotype thing...it gets me thinking of the whole Church Society in America thing. The other day I recieved an invitation to a Leaders Conference for Christian Businessmen and Pastors to get together and form a "grassroots organization" to hold our government and social leaders accountable to the principles that our Country was founded on. You know, in the past that would have really fired me up! But now...it all seems so stereotypical! Why can't we as business leaders, pastors...heck Christians, just get together to brainstorm how to reach our social leaders for Christ...not just hold them accountable to principles that they have no comprehension of? It kind of turned my stomach...I don't know whats wrong with me...I mean. am I a "good" Christian conservative anymore? Can anyone out there relate...
 
Your children amaze me! =]
 
Jen, how did I not know you had blogs? I know this is a bit late, but

I loved Crash, I think it went deeper to show why people fall into stereotypes and how often they can be true or not true, individuals are all different.

I also thought it ended on a note of hope and grace, rather than despair. It's a theme I've been seeing lately in art (books, music, movies..) that's coming from a completely unexpected place- the "world."

It goes to show that God will out, and if the church does not bear witness someone else will.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

/body>